Thursday, August 11, 2011

Watch Me Diet: Just Say No! (Or, How I Learned to Prioritize)

I'm a pleaser. No matter who's asking for a favor--a boss, a friend, a family member--I'll usually say yes. Two birthday parties in one night? Yep, I can make it. Another work assignment when I'm already stretched to the max? Of course! Will you donate money to this cause? Obviously; let me get my checkbook. But this weekend, I put myself (and my body) first.


An expert once told me that when I'm feeling stressed, I should make two lists: One of things I have to do and one list of things I want to do. Then, she suggested I whittle down the must-do list and cancel or postpone the truly nonessential plans.


Things have been so crazy-busy that I've put exercise on the back burner, which has really affected my energy level and mood. This weekend, I skipped two parties to sleep, cook a week's worth of healthy dinners and hit the gym three days in a row. (And no, I didn't feel guilty--just relieved that I could climb into bed and enjoy a book.) But that doesn't mean I locked myself in my apartment and ate carrot sticks all day. I still went to a friend's going-away bash and then had dim sum with another friend the next morning. So while I didn't do every single thing that was on the agenda, I hit all the important things. My apartment may be a little messy, but I feel great.


Do you have problems saying no, too? Is it easier for you to stick to your diet during the week or on weekends? How do you balance your busy life with things like exercise and eating healthy?


Don't forget! Sign up for Glamour's free (and easy!) Exactly What to Eat to Lose Weight plan. You'll get 30 days of healthy breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks, so there's no guesswork. Plus, you'll automatically be entered to win a spa trip for two!

0 comments:

Post a Comment